before arrival to Slovakia


  • VISA – NATIONAL VISA – TYPE D – Application – all documents required for submitting the application for visa
  • VISA requirements: Do you need a visa to enter Slovakia? – check on the website


  • Stay in Slovakia of duration more than 90 days – the applicant should apply for the national visa – type D (long stay), which is necessary for applying for temporary residence
  • The application may be submitted at the diplomatic mission of the Slovak Republic accredited to the country of the applicant’s citizenship or applicant’s residence 
  • It is recommended to book an appointment at the Slovak Embassy/Consulate office 
  • It is necessary to have all required documents ready for granting visa, and also those documents necessary for the temporary residence application 
  • Visa is granted for 90 days
  • Embassy/Consulate Office has 30 days for deciding on the application
  • a third-country national under the age of 16 who is not a holder of a travel document must be issued a separate visa in the travel document of the person in whom he is registered


  • Application must be submitted in person on the official form and in the Slovak language
  • Recent full-face color photograph – 3 × 3,5 cm
  • Valid passport – please note, passport should be valid at least 3 months after the expected expiry of the visa applied for, the passport must be issued within the last 10 years 
  • Documents demonstrating the purpose of the planned stay – family reunion: registry document proving the relationship with the person with the granted residence – the so-called warrantor of the stay (marriage certificate, birth certificate – apostilled or superlegalised) and if necessary, another document proving the third country national is considered a family member (e.g. a proof of dependency)
    • Spouse – marriage certificate
    • Child – birth certificate
  • + Affidavit of the legal guardian (parent) that the child is single (not married)
  • + In case it is a child of his/her spouse – a copy of the decision of the competent authority to entrust the child to personal care
  • + Consent of the second parent of a child younger than 18 years of age to whom the child has not been entrusted to personal care and who is entitled to meet with the child. 
  • A person dependent on care – birth certificate 
  • + confirmation from the doctor that the medical condition requires the care of another person
  • + a proof that there is no one to provide support in the country of origin

Documents on financial coverage 

  • An affidavit of the warrantor that he/she will provide the applicant with financial and material support during his stay in the Slovak Republic (in the amount of the subsistence minimum for each month of stay – until 30.06.2021 it is 214.83 € / month or 2,577.96 EUR / year)
  • + A contract of employment / Hosting agreement / Scholarship certificate / Employer´s confirmation on the warrantor´s salary / Bank account balance confirmation in the name of the warrant

Documents on accommodation officially legalized

  • Affidavit of the warrantor on property ownership / rental contract (applicant as tenant / one of the tenants – notarised of the landlord and tenant) / confirmation of the accommodation facility (hotel / hostel) / affidavit of the property owner (individual/legal entity) on providing accommodation to a foreigner
  • Travel insurance – min € 30,000 insurance coverage
  • Flying ticket
  • Administrative fee: € 60
  • + Criminal record statement for the purpose of submitting an application for temporary residence in the Slovak Republic 

All documents must be in the same format as for applying for a temporary residence, i.e.:

  • superlegalized/apostilled* – see The Hague Conference (member states who signed the Hague Conference) – detailed info here
  • translated to Slovak by a certified translator included in the List of Experts, Interpreters and Translators registered with the Ministry of Justice of the Slovak Republic or by the Slovak Embassy or Consulate (if there is a capacity to provide this job)

* if the submitted document is issued in an EU country and a foreigner wants to use it in another EU country, then an apostille is not necessary – this applies to some documents

More info here Ministry of Foreign and EU Affairs of the SR.